Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sad but Not Despairing

On Good Friday the father of one of our church members died. He had not been in bad health in particular but was 86 years old. Evidently he just laid down sometime in the day and didn't wake up.

One of my friends asked me last night if I was having a good Friday. I told him what happened and he said what a sad day. I responded that Good Friday is supposed to be sad. He said but not that sad.

He's right. The first Good Friday was the saddest day ever. Hope died. But since that first Good Friday, nothing is as sad as that day because other deaths now have lost their sting.

On Saturday despair must have reigned as the reality sunk in. That's probably how my church member feels today too.

But on Sunday morning, dawn brought a tremendous surprise. Jesus had risen, just like he said. And hope won, despair was dashed, eternity opened for all.

I'm sure my church friend will still feel sad tomorrow. But the resurrection brings hope of reunion, and that takes the edge off our grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment