Friday, March 29, 2013

It's Not Killing Us

For Lent I have observed several disciplines, one of which involves abstaining from sugar. This has impacted me in particular during this long cold March when spring refused to show up, and I had to resist my favorite cold weather comfort, Starbucks hot chocolate.

Today I needed to buy the Easter flowers for church, and stopped in a grocery across town with a Starbucks conveniently located as I entered the front door. I looked longingly at the options as I walked by, thinking to myself, "It's killing me."

The moment these words formed in my head I thought how ludicrous this sentiment is, especially today. Much of the point of Lenten deprivations lies in the reminder of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf. On Good Friday to even consider comparing my abstaining from hot chocolate with the sacrificial death on the cross of Jesus proves laughable. I embarrassed myself even thinking such a thing.

Years ago I stopped letting my children use the common expression, "I'm starving." I told them no matter how hungry they may be, starving did not apply. People in other countries starve.

Today I realized how ridiculous it probably ever is to say "It's killing me." Perhaps it applies if one has cancer, or is overworking to the point of destroying their health, but most of the time when we use this expression no real threat of loss of life exists.

I'm also reminded that although Jesus could have said, "They're killing me" about his enemies, he actually chose to lay down his life for us. He could have avoided the whole drama of Good Friday, but he willingly sacrificed himself.

Lent will end soon. I'm looking forward to hot chocolate again. But I hope I also remember the lessons of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment