Saturday, March 23, 2013

Discernment with Divine Appointments

Tonight before going to an Emmaus event I stopped in Sam's Club. There I ran into the woman I served with in Emmaus last spring, picking up photos for this weekend's walk.

As I walked to my car, a woman approached me asking for help. She cried while telling me of her granny's funeral, being lost and needing gas and her special needs son who needed food. I listened trying to discern her authenticity. Roger and I don't give cash to strangers, but I offered to follow her to a gas station and buy her gas. When I did so, she said she would ask someone else for cash to buy food for her son. She walked away and I knew she wasn't sincere and I was relieved not to have fallen for it.

When she began talking I wondered if this was a divine appointment. It's easy to rush to help, but that can lead to helping people continue negative life patterns, so I was grateful for caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment