Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Never Alone

This morning I took a walk in Spring  Grove Cemetery near my house. For those of you unfamiliar with this location, it might sound weird, morbid, and dull to walk in a cemetery. But Spring Grove spans over 700 acres, is also called an Arborteum, showcasing ponds, trees, and beautifully manicured grounds. To take a loop around the perimeter involves over 5 miles. I greatly enjoy walking there, often surprising deer in the early morning.

I had done my "Tuesday" route which involves some steep climbs (Cincinnati boasts seven hills) and hit the final way home, a long stretch of open straight road where I could see no one. Just as I did, the music on my phone played "Never Once" by Matt Redman, which says "never once did I ever walk alone, never once did you leave me on my own, you are faithful, God you are faithful."

I first heard this song the Sunday after my daughter Junia's horrific bike accident, the one where she flipped onto the pavement in Houston and no car ran over her. We couldn't be more thankful that despite multiple injuries she survived. I had flown down to help, and we worshiped with my friend Margaret  Dunn that Sunday morning and I heard this song for the first time, immediately grasping its significance for Junia's deliverance.

So this morning on that vacant path before me I was once again reminded we are never alone, despite what our eyes would tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment