Sunday, August 30, 2009

God is Our Zip Lock Bag

Ok, before you accuse me of irreverence, bear with me.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 talks about being kept blameless by God. Verse 24 says God is faithful and he will do it.

Now I don't know about you, but I like being blameless. Most people don't like accepting blame, it started with Eve who blamed the serpent and Adam who blamed Eve. I try to own up when I am to blame, but I sure like it when I have no blame on my conscience. I enjoy being blameless.

It's a hard state to accomplish. But these verses tell us that God is here to help. We are not doing this alone.

God is like a zip lock bag. We like to backpack, and you put your stuff in zip lock bags to protect it. That keeps it from getting dirty, or ruined by water, or keeps parts from getting lost. Zip lock bags keep things together, and safe, and clean.

That's the kind of help we need from God. We are not good at keeping ourselves together, or safe, or clean. God wants to help us with that.

We can get out of the bag, we can undo the zipper and let the dirt in, or climb out and roll around in it, or get lost far away.

But if we are willing to stay in God, to stay in the zip lock bag, he will protect us. He will keep us clean and safe and blameless. Not to mention the fact that if we do jump out and make a mess of ourselves, he's willing to clean us up and let us climb back in.

Lack of freedom? To quote Kris Kristofferson, freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Real freedom is freedom from blame.

So crawl in your zip lock bag and rest, clean and safe.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that God suffocates us with his presence at times. The flesh longs to sit outside the bag, under the impression that the fresh air is waiting outside. But we should by now that the real breath of life never came from our own breathing, I pray that all people would petetion Jesus this day for the Lords strength so that we can stay pure and blameless until the day that we can no longer breathe on our own (today)

    ReplyDelete