Sunday, August 23, 2009

Goals

This week when our children were all home we talked about goals for this year. Here are some of mine, not in order of priority or importance.

1. Listen to my toothbrush. My electric toothbrush vibrates to tell me when to switch to a new section to brush and when I have completed the recommended four minutes of brushing. I typically am not paying any attention and just quit when I feel like it. It's not that important to obey my toothbrush, but it's a great analogy for listening to the Holy Spirit who would like to send me signals and suggestions if I were paying attention. Slow down. Listen. Learn. Obey.

2. Decide about a degree. I have been contemplating for two years pursuing a PhD. This year I will either apply or decide not to. If I decide not to do the degree, I still in some form want to do the research that is the driving force behind the degree idea.

3. Write more. This will be off to a positive start when I attend a writer's retreat in September. Not to mention blogging. :)

4. Maximize our effectiveness at church. We have an amazing couple, Randall and Destiny to work with our youth and children. While they are with us this school year I want to really nurture this part of our ministry. Also have more adult fellowship opportunities.

5. Listen more. Besides listening to the Holy Spirit, I want to listen to people more. Being alone a lot when a real live human shows up in person or on the phone I easily talk too much.

6. Reach a healthy weight.

7. Spend more time in daily prayer, reestablish some of the spiritual disciplines I enjoy. See #1.

That should keep me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment