Sunday, May 26, 2013

But Not Like That

My last post communicated how I want to be like my dog in my devotion to God, getting up to follow God's lead, sitting and waiting when God does.

But I don't want to follow the way Roo follows. Because she doesn't actually follow. She walks ahead of me, although she wants to be going with me, she walks in front with her neck craned around so she can see if I'm still coming. With her head backwards, she often runs into things, since she's not watching where she's going, but watching me instead. Following would be much safer.

But isn't that how we often do? We say we want to follow God, but we get out in front, not really sure what direction God is headed since we are anticipating by running on ahead, yet since we're making sure God is coming along we aren't really watching where we're going either, and hence running into obstacles.

So much easier to just follow. If we fix our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2) we can see the path and the leader and whatever is in our way. Maybe someday Roo will figure this out. Meanwhile she reminds me of what to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment