Thursday, June 28, 2012

Waiting for Heaven

I can't wait to see Jesus. But I will wait.

I can't wait until the times are complete and I can be with my parents again. I can't wait until I get to see my children all the time instead of sending them off to various parts of the earth.

But I will wait.

I'll wait until Jesus says so, and I look forward to my family growing even larger with maybe even grandchildren in the future. And I look forward to the amazing contributions of my children to their professional realms, as they spread their influence and find their voices.

But at moments it's hard to wait, when I listen to Endless Hallelujah by Matt Redman is one of those moments. "No more tears, No more shame, No more sin and sorrow ever known again; No more fears, No more pain, We will see You face to face, See You face to face..."

I can't wait. But I will wait, I'll wait and serve and try to do God's will daily.

I look forward to having my family all together, parents and children and future offspring. But really the blessing of heaven is Jesus, face to face. Unimaginable.

Bill Trimble reminded me of that yesterday. Bill preached part of the funeral of Carol Erickson, mother of Bill's late wife Jan. Bill said after he lost Jan he had a dream, and in that dream he was in heaven with Jan. He was so happy to see her. After greeting him, Jan got down to the important stuff as she was wont to do, and said, "Enough small talk, let's go see Jesus." Bill reminded all of us that although Carol would be glad to see Jan and her mother and other family, the real attraction of heaven is Jesus.

So I'll wait, and I hope to wait a long time, to see my children's children, to see the fruit of my labors at church, to see my children's contributions to the world, but at times I yearn for that moment, face to face.

And in the end, the waiting is a flash, washed into the eternity of the now in Jesus' presence. Yes, Matt Redman, an Endless Hallelujah.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, thank you for this. It is the way I feel too. I've longed for Heaven all my life, a hunger I must have developed from hearing my grandad preach about it, when even his bald head seemed to glow in anticipation.

    I love what Jan said to Bill in his dream, "Enough small talk, let's go see Jesus." That will be glory!

    ReplyDelete