Thursday, December 15, 2011

Waiting

John Lennon said "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." I wonder what to call what happens to you when you're "busy" waiting for someone?

Efficiency experts suggest one should always have something available to do. I don't always have that foresight, and even when I do, I find waiting distracting. Expecting someone to show up at any moment really interferes with my focus. I could always using waiting time to pray, but sitting in a waiting room with a TV truly inhibits prayer. And I keep thinking that the person I brought to the doctor should be done any minute. Does it really take 3 hours to examine a newborn? Did I really agree to do this during my busiest week of the year?

When this is over, it would be great if I could see some overarching purpose for my time that seems to be wasted in a week with too little time. But I have a feeling it will just be chalked up to a ride needed, nothing more noble or earthshattering than that.

Advent is about waiting. The Israelites waited centuries for the Messiah, then most of them missed the moment. I hope I don't miss Jesus showing up.

Meanwhile, I think someone's car needs a jump...who knows...just maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment