Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Grateful

For the last year I have written in my gratitude journal daily (with only a few misses)three things I am grateful for. Some days the three items flow easily. Other days I have to stretch a bit...but I shouldn't really, because even on rough mornings, that follow difficult days, the basic blessings of life still exist: breathing, grace, God's love, the list is endless really.

The discipline of choosing three things daily teaches me to pay attention. To resist taking for granted the ways of God in my life. To notice the daily consistent ministrations of the Spirit. And for this, I am profoundly grateful.

I once tried to stop complaining. I didn't get very far. So now, this positive approach, instead of omitting complaints, add praise. I have to be honest that the praise has not yet overridden the complaints entirely, but praise is gaining. May another year of practice bring a greater improvement. God make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment