Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pennies Equal Millions

Today I picked up a penny from the sidewalk, which I don't normally bother to do. It wasn't because I read that sweet email about the penny saying "In God We Trust." Rather, yesterday I read in my son's economic textbook that each month the government must replace $50 MILLION in pennies.

Not 50 million pennies, but 50 million DOLLARS in pennies.

All those pennies we walk past, put on railroad tracks, throw in fountains and turn into souvenirs at tourist traps.

Can you imagine what we could do to solve social problems with the $50 million wasted each month by disregarding pennies? And that's an old figure.

I know picking up that one penny didn't fix the problem for April. But at least I didn't contribute to the problem, just this once. If everyone always took responsibility for their corner of the planet, not just with pennies, we'd live in a different world.

I'm on the lookout. For pennies, and other lost things.

No comments:

Post a Comment