Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Least

Having left town for three days to take my youngest son college visiting, I had only two days to prepare for Sunday. Since Saturday my husband Roger and I had to teach a workshop, getting that planned with him became the priority before I left. We finished that, and I got worship planned, but no sermon.

That sermon, normally done by Thursday at the latest, didn't come together until Sunday.

So this morning, unlike my usual Sunday morning, I had to finish the sermon. Print a retreat application for a parishioner. Practice a ministry in music which I rarely do. Play not just the opening choruses, but also the other songs as our pianist was elsewhere. Do the children's moment at the last moment instead of the youth pastor. After worship practice special music for next week .

Then I walked in the bathroom and discovered a paper towel in the toilet. Our septic system doesn't need that kind of challenge. So I had to fish it out.

It was the perfect cap to the morning. Not that the day is over. My son needs clothes washed (normally a Sabbath off limits task) for his school trip to Costa Rica that leaves about 4 a.m. Monday. And I have to plan our evening youth experience.

The joys of ministry! Truly it is a privilege and I am grateful. As we enter Holy Week, I cannot begin to show my gratitude to Christ for His sacrifice. The least I can do is fish a paper towel out of the toilet.

1 comment:

  1. i hope that all never happens on the same morning ever again.

    ReplyDelete