Saturday, October 13, 2018

Stuck in the Middle

Part of my calling in life lies in diplomacy. I often find myself in the middle of situations, sometimes between individuals, sometimes in an organization, or some combination thereof. Typically I have a personal opinion about who seems more in the right or wrong, but I also see both sides of the situation, even if I don't agree.

In personal situations this can cause some real angst, especially when called upon to support one or the other exclusively. But what I have learned from this is that even when we don't agree with someone, it is possible to at least see their side and understand their point of view.

Having that kind of empathy helps us to humanize those we cannot agree with. We can love and admire people who we distinctly disagree with on every basic opinion imaginable. We can respect people who have a different viewpoint, even if we cannot honor their choices.

Imagine how God must feel. We pray sometimes silly prayers for a basketball game as if we expect God to play favorites over who wins. But even with more grave matters, we as believers often pray at cross purposes from our brothers and sisters, an extreme example being any civil war throughout the centuries. Yet God sees the whole picture, knows what is best for all, and acts accordingly, which will suit someone's but not everyone's prayers.

Perhaps the best advantage of being stuck in the middle lies in being able to pray for both sides with honest neutrality, and trusting God will do what's best.

Our country once again faces an election. Good people will vote for both "sides." I have my own opinions about how that should turn out. I hope that people can see the other side. And I hope people find it worth voting, to at least participate in this civic duty. It's a simple action that gives us agency. And praying helps too, even if God has a whole other idea than we can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment