Monday, March 10, 2014

A Mother's Love

Today I heard a disturbing account of a mother who filed charges against her sons when they defended themselves against their step-father who attacked the older son. This was not a news report, but a story I heard recounted by the father of the boys.

All day this story played over again in my mind. Every since my first born found herself in her father's arms, I discovered a fierce protectiveness. My family calls me Momma Bear. I can't imagine turning against my children in such dramatic fashion.

At times tough love means parents must report their children who are breaking the law, often for their own good. But to falsely accuse your own children, then lie in court to win the case...beyond my imagination. Of course this permanently obliterated the mother-son relationship. Presumably the mother has no desire to see her sons after treating them thus. And naturally the sons hate their mother and have no space for her in their lives.

As I drove away from lunch I had to call one of my sons. I am so grateful for the relationship I have with all four of my children. I would amputate a limb before severing those relationships. Which is why I cannot understand such a mother as this. Why would anyone alienate her own children so dramatically?

I don't think I will ever understand. I can't imagine either what God thinks of all of this, but it must be heartbreaking to God as well. Yet daily over and over not only do humans injure each other but they also reject God, severing that relationship. And God is always waiting, hoping for that time of reconciliation.

God stands as far juxtaposed from this mother as imaginable. God not only does not falsely accuse and prosecute us, God knows we're guilty and pays the penalty on our behalf. Those boys did not deserve to be falsely accused. Yet daily we all do break the laws of God, and God forgives. We can rest easy in that security, the assurance of God's forgiving grace. What a relief.

As I lie down to sleep tonight, I will pray for those sons and their mother. I will thank God for my relationship with my own children. And I will also thank God for being the type of parent who loves and forgives, accepts and encourages, and seeks the lost and hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment