Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hymns

Worship Wars started decades ago. When contemporary choruses came out, people battled over choruses versus hymns.

We sing both at our church. And I love both.

This week I had a younger person say she liked a certain group who were updating hymns. A funny video of someone else had a hip person say he liked hymns.

So hymns are "in" again. But then this need to update them.

I too have enjoyed some of the "updates," sometimes a faster pace, a different tune that's more singable. Our church loves the added chorus of "My Chains are Gone" to Amazing Grace.

But today as I was singing Blessed Assurance, I thought, "What's wrong with the old versions?"

Many of them were once bar tunes themselves, as Charles Wesley often used popular tunes for his hymns.

It doesn't really matter if we sing them with new hip tunes, a new pace, or the same old way. Many hymns have depth missing in some choruses.

Truth is, I love them both, which is why we still sing both at our church. Come on over.

No comments:

Post a Comment