Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Counseling

I'm glad I read a book about difference between white and black conflict. Now when I counsel P and B I don't worry that they yell at each other, it's just how they communicate.

Roger and I were yellers in our early days, especially the first six months. I still don't mind a good yelling match.

When P and B left from our session today, I had to smile. P paced the floor reenacting events from the week, while B sat and watched with her own comebacks. But they keep coming back.

I know TOO many middle class couples white and black who never even try counseling, they just grow tired of trying and bail out. But these young folks keep coming back, and they are making progress.

I am grateful for the privilege of watching them learn to love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment