Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Night Before Bliss

Twenty-three years ago tonight I went to bed totally unaware of the bliss to dawn the next morning. I was 10 days away from my expected due date for my first-born child. I awoke that morning with my water breaking. I went to my computer and put finishing touches on church work so I could be off for the next 6 weeks.

Later on February 4 I held in my arms a healthy daughter we named Nora after my mother, who was there to witness her birth. I figured by the time my six weeks of maternity leave ended, I'd be chomping at the bit to get back to work.

When that day came, I would have walked away from my job had I not felt as responsible for my new church as I felt for my new child. So I juggled both parenting jobs together, the pastorate and the baby.

I loved that first edition so much, we had three more. People used to say to me when they saw me dragging around four children born within six years of each other, "You've got your hands full." My comeback became, "Joyfully so." I wrote a song about it later that asked, "Who wants empty hands?"

My hands are becoming empty these days. Nora attends grad school in Baltimore, Junia is graduating from Wheaton this year, Luke is now a freshman at UK, and Wesley will launch to college in less than two years. I'm losing my favorite job.

On this eve of the day I became a mother 23 years ago, I praise God for the blessing of four amazing children. They challenge me daily with their wisdom, compassion and capacity for growth.

This week also holds other memories. Saturday will be nine years since my mother died. Her only ambition in life was to be a mother, and I didn't really grasp until she was gone how grateful I was for her legacy in that vein.

So Nora, as you reach a new milestone, thank you for who you are. And to the rest of my children, for being more of a good thing. And Roger, you've been a great partner in parenting.

I'll miss seeing my girl tomorrow. But I am glad she is happily occupied in her own world. Keep it up beautiful daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment