Saturday, January 2, 2010

Silence

My voice is missing. I have had this problem before. Another time it was also Christmas. I had to do a wedding. Roger helped me with it. During the sermon, my voice got stronger and stronger. The wedding couple called it the miracle of the voice.

Another time was right after Easter. I remember visiting my dad and he was SO annoyed that I couldn't talk to him. He was such an extrovert and it drove him crazy that I couldn't talk.

My kids were young then and driving in the van was the biggest challenge, trying to communicate to people behind me with no voice while driving.

Every time I lose my voice I learn something about silence. It truly is golden. It doesn't bother me too much not to talk, as an introvert I rather enjoy the opportunity to be quiet. However it does make me value communication.

I learn how many things don't need to be said. When you have to strain to talk or write it down or text it, you realize how many things can just be left unsaid, only the valuable things are worth all that effort. That's a lesson that can carry over to full-voiced moments.

I was supposed to lead a meeting today that typically involves a lot of teaching from me. But everyone had read a book this time, so it was easy for Roger to facilitate. God provided. For tomorrow at church I had already planned instead of a sermon to have a Wesley Covenant service and communion. I delegated leading those. God provided again.

My family is always relieved when I can talk again. It is frustrating not to be able to call my daughters and talk on the phone. But meanwhile, I pray I learn a bit more about the value of silence. And that when my voice does return, I will use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment